Wednesday, January 24, 2024

(Not) Wordless Wednesday: Something Old, Something New For Hatsune Miku

 
Remember that Ford Mustang I raced in Gran Turismo Sport and Gran Turismo 7? The one with Hatsune Miku on the hood and sides? This past week, I decided to switch Beemers now that racing season is upon us. 

The Z3 I've been racing for the past few months has been swapped out for a newer M6. I'm happy to report the M6 is a full second faster around Daytona's road course than the Z3 when I tested it out the other day. I might even be able to squeeze another half second of its current best time with a few suspension tweaks.

This result also means I have to create a new livery for the car. I found that recreating the one I had for the Z3 would not work out for the M6's unique body shape, so I used the Mustang as inspiration for this...

I'm still thinking about adding a pink stripe with white trim on top. It would run along the bottom of the doors where those logos are.

I borrowed the Mustang Shelby GT500ish stripes from the Ford and then applied them to the M6. I think a white rear spoiler with pink edges would work best.

This M6 is the "Endurance" model. Those fog lights are fully functional, and I appreciate having them whenever I race at night in cockpit view. This is supposed to be a Super GT car, and the GT300 division requires them to be in yellow to distinguish them from the faster GT500 cars on the track.

Those intakes make putting decals on the hood quite a challenge. There's a body layer and then there's an "other" layer for the intakes, wheel arches, and front splitter. So in order to get Miku's pom poms and her hair to show up correctly when you look at the car from overhead, I have to do twice the work. The same goes for the number board on the top left corner and the Pop Mart logo on the opposite side.

This livery is still considered a work in progress, so there might be more images to share as we get closer to this weekend's Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona race.

1 comment: