Saturday, January 6, 2024

What Happened To Me?!: Volume 1, Chapter 1

It’s a new year, and I thought I’d bring back two of my favorite comics ladies for my weekly post header. Here’s Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. Or is it Veronica Lodge and Betty Cooper? The panel is from the hilarious 2017-2018 crossover miniseries Harley & Ivy Meet Betty & Veronica, when the foursome were body switched during a Halloween Party. — Robzilla

WHAT’S UP WITH MY HEALTH

I lost 2.8 pounds this week and my BG numbers remain stable. 

While that is good news, the better news is how my body is handling illness. On Friday afternoon, I had a sore throat. Now that I'm off medications, I took Airborne that afternoon and once again on Saturday morning. As I write this, I'm glad to report the sore throat is gone and I have no other cold or flu symptoms. Let's hope it stays that way.

WHAT I ATE

Steak street tacos. Instead of talking about them, I decided to make them for dinner this weekend. I used sriracha flavored “zero net carb” flour tortillas, spread a layer of avocado on them, and then filled them with steak, diced onions and tomatoes, parsley, and cheese. 

WHAT I BOUGHT AND READ

In 2021 I started collecting physical copies of the manga series Kingdom of Z, but I had forgotten about it as time passed. A new volume was usually published every three to four months, but the fifth volume was delayed three months and it wasn’t until a year afterward that the final volume was published. 

When I bought the final volume this past week, I had to reread the prior ones to refresh my memory of Satou, a high schooler who thought he had died and gone to heaven when he was saved from zombies by the voluptuous Miki and the bat wielding Karin. One is a megalomaniac and the other can be described as a Japanese Harley Quinn.

The ending wasn’t perfect but I enjoyed the series.

WHAT I LISTENED TO

I’ve taken a break from listening to Smartless. The episode with Carey Mulligan a few weeks ago bored me to tears. I turned it off after twenty-five minutes and I haven’t streamed a podcast since.

WHAT I READ ON MY PAPERWHITE

I read Kingdom of Z all last week, so now I have a nice backlog of manga to work on.

WHAT I WATCHED

The Winter anime season has arrived, and I’ve decided to watch the third season of Classroom Of The Elite. I have issues with the writing, especially the character development, but my inner sadist needs to be sated. Watching mostly irredeemable teenagers (and a few adults) do shitty things to each other every Thursday afternoon is strangely appealing.

WHAT FILLED MY SILVER & BLACK HEART WITH PRIDE 

The local CBS affiliate finally had enough. At the last minute, and by that I mean just before I posted this on Saturday night, they decided NOT to televise the Kansas City Chiefs - Los Angeles Chargers game on Sunday. San Diegans get to watch the Green Bay Packers - Chicago Bears game instead.

WHO DESERVES TO BE SLAPPED AND THEN DRAGGED FROM AN ELEVATOR BY THEIR HAIR

The Baltimore Ravens, who are now reclassified as Fuck Yo’ Team!

I was horrified last Sunday when I learned the Ravens honored Ray Rice as a Legend of the Game. The only thing legendary about the former wide receiver is that he’s arguably the first NFL player ever held accountable for committing domestic violence. That only happened after video of the incident went viral, and then the league caved in after days of relentless public pressure. 

In case you’re wondering what Rice did, I put it in the subtitle above to spare you a Google search of graphic videos and images from a decade ago that are easily found.

WHO DESERVES A FIST BUMP

I don’t have any candidates this week. 

WHAT’S UP WITH MY WRITING

Things are going better than expected. I’ve edited the first five chapters, which includes writing a new one from scratch, as of Friday afternoon. I spent Saturday writing a new chapter from scratch, and as of this posting I'm still working on it before I move on. My best guess is I'm about 12% finished with this important round of edits.

5 comments:

  1. And I just watched the Burton Batman trilogy the other weekend. Damn Uma Thurman was a campy Poison Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy. She was amazing.
    I'm so glad you hear your numbers are still really good without the medication. I just watched a series on diet and health, and I am planning on making a few changes myself.
    The steak street taco sounds delicious!!
    I hope you have a wonderful Sunday and a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good week! Congratulations on the weight loss too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I hope you have a great week too!

      Delete