Saturday, January 27, 2024

What Happened To Me?!: Volume 1, Chapter 4

WHAT’S ON MY MIND

My health. I rushed to urgent care last Saturday night for something, and I had blood drawn during my visit. I thought this health scare was behind me but I literally just had more test results added to my file while typing this. I’ve now had 30+ tests done so far, and the only abnormal result can be explained by me taking Bayer for muscle soreness from doing yardwork the prior day.

Whatever I saw on Saturday evening has pretty much cleared up on its own, and I was never in pain or discomfort at any point in time during the past week. I believe I’m fine, and to keep my sanity I’ll continue to believe that until they tell me it isn’t.

WHAT I ATE

Spicy tuna tacos. I’ve been craving spicy tuna rolls and fish tacos lately, but due to the carbs I really shouldn’t have either of them. My kitchen creativity resulted in a unique taco experience that doesn’t qualify as a cheat meal or required cooking. Therefore, I’m free to eat them for dinner at any time. I’m assuming they’ll also be good with cooked fish that’s neither breaded or battered.

WHAT I BOUGHT

I splurged on a ZiZZO Forte folding bicycle. I can put it in Akeno’s trunk, and with an optional indoor trainer I can also ride it in my living room. As I lost weight, it was a goal of mine to buy and ride one of these and… oh, I didn’t tell you that part yet!

WHAT I READ

I Don’t Know Which Is Love, Volume 2 stood out from this week's reads. This yuri harem story is begging for an anime adaptation.

WHAT I’M WATCHING

I’m halfway through the twenty-four episode run of Shirobako on HIDIVE. It’s a “slice of life” anime about five girls in a high school animation club that promise to make an anime together as adults, but 2.5 years after graduation they discover the industry isn’t what they imagined. It’s a well written anime that focuses on Aoi Miyamori, the woman in the middle, and it’s a delight to watch all of their different personalities bloom before my eyes. I highly recommend this series to y’all if it’s available on your streaming services.

A Shirobako movie was released in 2020 that is set four years after the events in the anime series. I hope someone streams that here in the States in the near future. 

WHAT MADE ME SMILE 

I stepped on my scale Friday morning out of curiosity. Keep reading…

WHO’S IN SLAP COURT THIS WEEK

The defendants: Feedly and/or WordPress

The crime: I cannot read Spo’s posts in a timely manner, and this only happens with his blog feed. When I don’t see an update in Feedly, I incorrectly assume he’s too busy to post that day. The next thing I know, I get an update out of the blue and then discover I’m five days behind.

The verdict: Two deferred slaps. I unfollowed and then refollowed Spo’s blog in Feedly this morning. Either that solves the problem or else WordPress needs to get itself an ice pack for what’s coming. Roberto Duran isn’t the only one with manos de piedras.

WHO DESERVES A FIST BUMP

Nikki Haley. I don’t agree with her politics, but I don’t care if what she’s doing could be construed as elder abuse. I agree with her strategy of kicking Tang Satan in the nuts with a pointy toe pump every chance she gets. And why not? It’s working brilliantly for E. Jean Carroll in the courts.

WHAT I ACCOMPLISHED VIA GAMING

I’m faster than real life. The Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona endurance race is this weekend, so I spent about a cumulative hour running practice laps around Daytona’s road course in Gran Turismo 7 in the M6. 

My goal has always been to run laps as fast as the real life cars during the race or their practice sessions. The fastest GT3 cars are running laps in the 1 minute, 46 second range. My best laps are in the high to mid 1:44s even at night time, and the scary part is that I think I can go faster if I tweak the suspension settings to make the car turn a little better in the corners. 

WHAT ELSE IS UP WITH MY HEALTH

As of Friday morning I’ve crossed a very important threshold in my weight loss journey. It’s not just a psychological boost to see a 2 for the first digit in my weight. It represents the broadening of my world and of the things I can do that five months ago was wishful thinking.

FYI, that saying about everything is like riding a bike is true. It was only from one end of the backyard to the other, but for the first time in over two decades I rode one and without falling or getting hurt.

WHERE I WENT

On Friday, I visited Dick’s Sporting Goods. Afterward, I thought I stumbled upon a popup Subaru dealership until I noticed the REI logo above the front entrance. Between the two stores I bought chain lubricant, a helmet, a water bottle cage, and a pump for the ZiZZO. That last item was necessary after I spent $7.50 at the gas station for partially aired tires and a couple of bloody knuckles.

WHAT’S UP WITH MY WRITING

Not much this week. Real life interrupted most of my writing time, but I’m pleased with the handful of chapters I edited. I fear I’ll have more of the same this coming week, but I hope I can reach the halfway point of my edits by the next update.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the continued weight loss. I LOVE the bike. You'll build up a lot of stamina riding that. It's so cool that it folds up to take somewhere else to ride. Fish tacos sound delicious. I hope you enjoy your Sunday and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your weight loss! That so good to hear. I agree with you totally on Nikki Haley. I don't like her politics, but I want her to stay in the race and beat the stupid orange one. He needs to lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope Nikki seriously wounds him on the way to his nomination.

      Delete
  3. Congrats n the weight loss and the cool new bike!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete