Monday, February 12, 2024

Swarmed

What you're looking at is what kept me awake late last night. I was about to fall asleep when both my phone and tablet went off at around 12:40 am. They warned me about a 5.4 earthquake that I might have felt moments earlier, and I assumed it was something going on in either the Los Angeles or Borrego Springs areas.

I didn't feel the earthquake, which was later downgraded to a 4.8 by seismologists, but my curiosity got the better of me. I looked online, and the southern part of the San Andreas Fault is stirring awake again. There's been an endless swarm of earthquakes south of the Salton Sea since then, which is actually good news for everyone not in the immediate area. I'd rather have a swarm of quakes telling us the earth's plates are creeping along as they should instead of one big jolt that does catastrophic damage in a large area.

In other words, this is normal life in Southern California. Carry on.

3 comments:

  1. No thanks sweet cheeks. One big one and everything is gone in one fell swoop. And it's been too quiet for way to long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in the New Madrid Fault Zone and so far in the 18 years we've been here have only had a handful of small earth quakes. I hope our luck and yours continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry...I'll take snow and cold temps over earthquakes any day!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete