Not Wordless Wednesday: I Have Feelings About The New NFL Year

 
This morning marks the beginning of the new NFL year, and it also means I have yet another jersey of a former player hanging in my closet.

I really wanted the Jimmy Garoppolo signing to work out, but alas Jimmy G and his GQ model looks will be with another NFL team this upcoming season. Assuming he's okay with being a backup quarterback since it looks like his days as a starter are over. 

Or maybe his next destination could be Mistress Maddie's Casa du Borghese? I can see him as a houseboy once his NFL days are over. Then again, I could use a little domestic help around here myself. *Ahem*

The salary cap move that really hurts the most is the impending release of Raiders legend Hunter Renfrow, a wide receiver that against all odds made the Pro Bowl three years ago. He was a late round pick in 2019 that was elevated into a starring role when injuries depleted the wide receivers corps. He ended the 2021 season with 103 catches for 1,038 yards and 9 touchdowns, but after appearing in the Pro Bowl the following February he inexplicably slid down the Raiders depth chart until he became an afterthought in Josh McDaniel's anemic offense.

I'll fondly remember Renfrow for reminding me of San Diego (yes!) Chargers great and Hall of Famer Charlie Joiner, who had a knack for catching all passes thrown to him on third down and converting them into first downs. "Third and Renfrow" is still a thing, but now that will have to be elsewhere.

Renfrow was also legendary for his relatively slender build. In an era when wide receivers like D.K. Metcalf look like they train to compete in bodybuilding contests during the offseason, Renfrow looked no different than that guy behind the Geek Squad counter willing to remove a virus from your computer for a $149.99 fee. 

I will still wear Renfrow's jersey with pride, even if he catches on with another NFL team. After all, if you've played a down for the Raiders... Once a Raider, Always a Raider!

Comments

  1. Jimmy Garoppolo ? Honey we're already in negotiations to get him signed on as a house boy. I believe I'll have them positioned somewhere in the gardens. That way you can work outside shirtless. Not that any of my house boys inside or out where very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy Garoppolo is VERY easy to look at. I'd watch football to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just like that, I'm a football fan.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. now how can it be a new year when baseball hasn't really started?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment