That One Time I...


... Almost Bought A Second Car Out Of Fear

If you've been here long enough then you already know I love Akeno almost as much as life itself. She's a Super Black 2022 Nissan Altima SR VC-Turbo that has been a pleasure to own for the past two plus years, but there were a few moments during the past two weeks when I thought about parting with her.

It all started when I got wind of this Forbes article published last December that detailed the troubles Nissan and Infiniti owners have had with the innovative VC-Turbo engine. Although the NHTSA review does not cover Akeno's model year, it's a little scary to think that one day she might have a catastrophic failure that would require an engine replacement.

It also didn't help matters that Nissan has been pretty aggressive lately in advertising an extended warranty for Akeno. The original warranty is good until late March 2025, but between the Forbes article and Nissan's pestering it's understandable why I felt a little spooked about Akeno's future.

This led me to do a casual search for gently used cars online, and with my current financial situation I could put it on a debit card with a simple phone call... but then the old me that could barely afford a 2016 Nissan Versa Note SV back in the day slapped the shit out of today's version of me back to reality.

I took a deep breath and realized I've babied Akeno since day one. I've had her oil changed at 2,000 miles, 5,000 miles, and 9,000 miles and she always gets synthetic oil. Her Bridgestones rarely go less than a pound beneath their recommended pressure, and she usually looks as clean as she did when I first brought her home. Lets not forget the $1,300 in dealer accessories that I had installed on her right after I took the above photo.

In summary, I have every reason to believe Akeno's engine is unlikely to do its own impersonation of a hand grenade so perhaps I'll stop worrying about her heading to the Nissan dealership on a flatbed tow truck.

Comments

  1. Let's keep our fingers crossed that everything goes well with her and you don't have to part ways. As for me I already know my next car is going to be another Mazda. I've been extremely pleased with the cars performance, gas mileage, low maintenance and excellent customer service not to mention their service department. When my car is up on the lift they even send me videos of all the work being done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I'm a lot smaller than I was last summer, I'm curious to see if I can fit in a Miata. I've always wanted one, and I'm not against buying a second car to drive on weekends just for fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment