Sunday, June 16, 2024

An Update...

I received word a few hours ago that my sister will be transferred to hospice within the next 24-48 hours. I have not seen my sister since before the pandemic due to the convalescent home's policies that dictated only one family member could visit her, but I'm glad that I heard she's looking forward to seeing me. 

There's so much I want to tell her besides the obvious things, but the sad reality is I'll have to limit my words. She's already receiving palliative care and spends most of her time sleeping. When I visit her tomorrow, there's a good chance it may be the last time I see her alive.

And if not, I'll make sure to visit her at least one more time before she passes.

***

I visited my brother this afternoon to give him the latest news on my sister, and he took it better than I expected. I also learned he will not return home. He will move into an assisted living facility. That will happen in the coming weeks.

I also received quite the scare when I took the elevator up to his room today. To make a long story short, a few patients and staff tested positive for COVID-19 since my last visit. I fucking called it on May 24th when I said Memorial Day Weekend was a great time to spread germs!

On that note, I fucking give up. COVID-19 has made a comeback in San Diego and when I dropped by Vons on the way home I noticed almost no one is wearing a mask. I guess I'm the only one who believes it's smart to take care of myself when I want to "get on with my life".

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your sister; may she go in peace.
    Good for you for the mask! I will fly soon and I bet I will be the only one in a mask on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just getting caught up on your blog. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. Wishing you strength during this trying time.

    Hugs.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry to hear this about your sister. Hospice will help her make the transition with as little pain as possible. Big hugs to you as you go and see her today. I'm glad your brother took it as well as anyone can and that he is getting the assistance that he needs. I will keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like ages ago I heard of anyone getting Covid 19 around here. And I havn't seen a mask on anyone in over a year now.

    I sure hope your sister won't suffer too long. She will be happier when relief comes and she can join your parents.

    ReplyDelete