Sunday, June 23, 2024

Random Thoughts On A Sweltering Sunday

83 degrees doesn't sound like sweltering weather, but when you take into account it was before nine o'clock and the humidity hovered at around 50% it's nearly unbearable first thing in the morning in a home without AC. The good news is I'm not as miserable as I would have been since I'm not carrying around so much excessive weight. 71 pounds lost since the end of September 2023 to be exact, and over 80 if we're counting what I weighed last summer.

I hear the afternoon won't be so bad, so there's a good chance I'll feel more comfortable as the day progresses.

***

I've changed my mind about Akeno after I had an eye opening talk with my best friend about car insurance last night. To make a long story short, if I'm going to pay a sports car insurance rate for a sedan then I might as well own the sports car.

If the insurance quote I receive tomorrow is about the same or cheaper than what I pay now, I will test drive a gently used convertible I've long desired. It makes financial sense when you consider any difference between Akeno's trade in value and the convertible's purchase price could probably pay for half the purchase price of the compact SUV I fell in love with midweek.

***

I've had an automotive bucket list since I was sixteen and it looks like this:

  • Own a muscle car - checked twice
  • Own a pickup truck - check
  • Own a collectible car - check
  • Own a turbocharged car - check
  • Own a (name redacted) - not yet
  • Own a convertible - not yet

Two things I learned after visiting my dying sister six days ago is that I need to stop putting off things and live in the here and now, and driving should always be an enjoyable endeavor. Now that I've lost a copious amount of weight, I need to go get that convertible while I can still climb in and out of it without hurting myself.

***

Soon my life will change and I fear it won't be for the better. On top of my sister dying, my brother will return home. I will be tasked to assist with various things short term, and while I don't mind having less time to play video games or edit my novel I mind very much that he won't push himself to do the bare minimum.

To be blunt, I don't care if he eats garbage like a preteen but he must exercise to regain lost mobility. If he doesn't do that, I fear we'll be back to square one. And by square one, I mean calling 911 for him. Read into that as you wish, but I will not discuss this further.

***

Finally, I've decided to redo all of those chapters I've edited. For giggles, I rewrote one of them about two weeks ago in first person narrative and I found it was a lot easier to capture that character's thoughts and emotions. I also found it to be a more engaging read. Now I want to rewrite the whole thing from that perspective, so there's lots of work to do as I ease back into writing.

3 comments:

  1. I hear you about the heat! We woke up to 75 inside, but fortunately, this house has AC, so I am not complaining! I agree with you about living in the here and now. I'm using all the good dishes NOW and giving away things I no longer need. Do what you need to do, sweetpea, because only you know what's going on. Peace and strength to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think I lived every day to the fullest but realized after TBG got sick that we could do better. No more putting things off to do later. Big hugs to you for all you're dealing with. It is a lot and adds a lot of stress I'm sure. I remember around 16 I knew I loved Monte Carlos and Jeeps. I've had both and loved them. I still drive a Jeep now. I also had a Mitsubishi Eclipse, I think it was a 98. I did love that car too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say stay cool. It's humid and hot here but we do have AC so I've been inside all day.

    ReplyDelete