A Labor Of Love

 
To you, this looks like an ordinary MINI Cooper S rear bumper and chrome exhaust tips. To me, it's an ongoing restoration project that I'm thrilled to take on. 

The other day The Porch Gods delivered an aftermarket kit that's as close to an exact match to Miku's Caribbean Aqua Metallic paint as I can get without visiting a MINI authorized collision center. This morning I applied the touch up paint to the bumper and her driver's side door. Later today I'll add the clear coat to finish the repairs.

To this day, I'm shocked at Miku's past history. When I reviewed her Carfax report, I imagined her first owner was a wealthy gay man. She's originally from San Francisco, and then she spent just over a year in West Hollywood (WeHo) before she was acquired by Carmax. 

She's also been in two accidents, now three if we're counting last week's mishap with the married woman that wanted to give me a hug afterward.

When I bought Miku two months ago, she displayed numerous imperfections that were never addressed. The rear bumper had deep gouges on its edges and she had missing paint chips here and there. The exhaust tips were coated with hardened black soot that I initially thought were permanent. One of her bonnet stripes looks like someone accidentally spilled a few drops of a cleaner or solvent on it, and let's not talk about the $5k I've already spent on her suspension issues and the $2k to replace her motor mounts when I take her in for her 60k service.

As a car person, it broke my heart to see Miku in this condition when I first laid eyes on her. It's no different than being introduced to a gorgeous middle aged woman that had been dumped by her husband for a younger version of herself. It actually made me a little angry, if I'm being honest with myself.

"How can someone with money do this to such a wonderful car?" I'll always ask myself that question every time I admire her from my kitchen window first thing in the morning. 

She's in good hands now. Perhaps I'll take her to the MINI dealership soon to get those bonnet stripes replaced? She's worth it.

Comments

  1. I don't understand not taking care of vehicles. Sounds like he could have easily paid someone else if he didn't want to spend the time. Glad she's in good hands with you. The color is absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and one day I'll post a photo with me in it. I'm saving that for when I create an online dating profile.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely blue this is! I would want the car just for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and the only way you can get it is if you buy a MINI convertible. It's an exclusive color.

      Delete

Post a Comment