That One Time I...

... Faced Some Uncomfortable Truths

After yesterday's post, I lost myself on the Muscle and Fitness web site for a good spell. Even in my old age, I still crave learning new things or reacquainting myself with things I used to do three decades ago. Something I've been curious about for awhile is my body fat percentage. Where it's at now isn't optimal, but if I knew what it was then I could figure out my final destination on this weight loss journey.

Sometime after dinner The Porch Gods delivered a fancy scale that cost me a C-note. It tells me all sorts of information that the Fitbit Aria Air could only dream of. I usually only weigh myself once a week, but this morning I took a deep breath and stepped on the scale to learn more about myself:

I weigh 262.8 pounds, only 0.2 pounds heavier than I was on Friday morning's weigh in. As you've guessed, I was likely at or slightly above 350 pounds at this same time last year.

My lean body weight is 190.6 pounds. That's eye opening for someone my height, but the painful truth is I've lost roughly 16 pounds of muscle since my early twenties. I was one described as a sawed off NFL linebacker three decades ago, but now I'd pass for a strong safety if I were in shape. 

I have mixed feelings about that discovery. Part of me wants to join a gym and start lifting to regain that lost muscle. At the same time, do I really need to bench press 300 pounds? Leg press the entire stack of weights on a Nautilus machine? I don't need to feed my ego, and my days of protecting smaller teammates on the ice or in dive bars are long over.

If I shoot for a 12% body fat percentage at my current lean body weight, my target weight should be anything under 215 pounds. Losing another 48 pounds or so is doable, but I'll need another 9-12 months to get there.

I also don't like the fact this new scale tells me my metabolic age is 61. I need to work on that!

Comments

  1. If my scale doesn't say what I want it to. a punch it! LOL!!!!
    I weight less than I even have. The most I weighted was 173 lbs. about two years ago. I usually keep my weight anywhere between 130- 150 lbs. now. I'm definitely more lean in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our age resistance exercise isn't likely to gain bulk but it is important to do to keep up strength and delay muscle loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I was a little heartbroken when I measured my biceps the other day.

      Delete
  3. I noticed when TBG had his surgery and I had to do a lot more lifting that I had lost muscle too. I've upped the healthy proteins a bit and picked up the weights again. It does seem to be helping. It sounds like that scale tells you more than I probably want to know. You're doing wonderful with your fitness and health.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment