That One Time I...

 ... Channeled My Inner Rebecca Bloomwood

Yesterday morning I had a crisis in my tiny kitchen. I didn't run out of Marie Sharp's habanero pepper hot sauce or parsley. It was much worse than that. The midrange Anolon frying pans I've used for a decade finally gave up the ghost. Imagine my resting "Terminator" face when I had to settle for a veggie egg scramble instead of my usual omelet for breakfast.

Anolon remains one of the best "bang for your buck" pans on the market, so of course the ones I owned weren't in stock. I didn't have the luxury of waiting, not when I had perishable mushrooms and green peppers in the refrigerator that need to be consumed within the next forty-eight hours. I also didn't feel comfortable ordering a $300+ set of frying pans that Gordon Ramsay uses after what Lori experienced the other day. I'd probably use those pans as weapons if they were delivered in a damaged box!

It was that desperation that made me grab Yuki's keys and head to Williams Sonoma. It was the first time I've been in a WS store, and for good reason. I've known for a long time that I would gladly part with a copious amount of money if I were ever set loose in that store, so with a deep breath I made a silent prayer for my debit card as I crossed the threshold.

I had no idea shopping at a WS was an event. A mostly female audience watched as a clerk demonstrated a kitchen gadget on a table, and if I had the spare time I would have gladly joined them. The ambiance is perfect for a shopping experience. The stained wood interior plus the soft lighting made it feel like I was shopping in one of those hole in the wall Julian, CA antique stores I dearly miss visiting.

My eyes settled on a display set of Zwillig aluminum non-stick frying pans that looked pretty avant garde compared to the ones I've owned in the past. Their knives and sharpeners are top notch (they make J.A. Henckles!), so I felt very comfortable splurging on a 3-piece set that set me back about $270. 

Included in that price are reusable bags to store them in like luxury purses, and if that wasn't boujie enough I also spent $38 on a silicone coated whisk. You can call me crazy for spending so much money on a kitchen tool, but when it helps you create the fluffiest omelet you've ever feasted on you'd agree it's a wise investment.

My debit card took a final $34 shot when I bought a large WS tote bag for my future purchases. When I get some time midweek, I'd love to go back there and browse the store for spices and other kitchen items I want/need.

This is the one time when I'm thankful I have a tiny kitchen with a premium on storage space. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd come back from WS looking a lot like Rebecca Bloomwood above!

Comments

  1. I've been to a WS twice in the past but there isn't one relatively close to us here which is probably a good thing for my bank account at least. I could go crazy in that store. Glad you had a good time and found a few treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know the feeling about going crazy. If I had more counter space, I know there's a $900 De'Longhi coffee/espresso machine with my name on it.

      Delete

Post a Comment