A Morbid Anniversary

 
Do you see how gorgeous Miku looks with the top down and with a recent car wash? At 4,000 rpms, she makes this glorious pop, crackle and gurgle sound through her exhaust pipes when I manually shift her in Sport Mode. I'll never get tired of hearing that.

Now, do you see that SUV in the middle of that intersection behind Miku? Twenty six years ago today that's where I should've been killed.

I had almost forgotten about my "Near Death Date" until I glanced at my Fitbit tracker a few blocks away from this intersection. To make a long story short, a Honda blew through that exact red light and struck my drivers side door. I miraculously wasn't injured or killed by that impact, and I managed to keep my muscle car off the trolley tracks in the middle of the street just before a trolley arrived from the opposite direction.

It took me a good six months to drive through that intersection without crying, and with the passage of time it's just something that happened a long time ago.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry you had that experience, but I'm glad you're still here to have the memory of it. I still can't drive down the road where I was driving when another car rear-ended my Elantra and totalled it.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is hard to shake off the emotions of that sort of thing. Happily it gets down in time to just an annoying pang.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment