That One Time I...

...Played My Own Version of "Guy's Grocery Games"

This morning I needed to drop by Vons for one of those Vicks care packages, also known as a NyQuil/DayQuil combo pack to treat colds and flus. I was running low on the latter, and I also wanted a broccoli crust pizza for tonight's Los Angeles Dodgers/San Diego Padres playoff game. 

I was also masked up, but not due to any fears of catching COVID-19. I'm trying to help promote proper drainage in my sinuses the natural way so I don't end up at Urgent Care in pain and begging for antibiotics at some point in the near future.

I checked myself out at the self server cashier, and then an on screen warning popped up about purchasing an age sensitive item. A slim redhead roughly my age sauntered over to my register and as she scanned her ID card to override the system I cracked, "I guess I can't pass for under 30 anymore."

She smiled and as she typed in a few buttons I tried to show her my drivers license to verify my actual age. She mumbled something about what she thought my age was, and I watched as her index finger inputted a fake birth date on the touch screen. She got the month right, but as she walked away I noticed the birth year was 1985.

I often make jokes that I'm 39 with sixteen years experience and I also try not to have an inflated ego, but I'm not going to lie. If a woman tried to pick me up, I discovered at that moment that if she told me I'm a lot younger than my actual age that would earn her bonus points.

I don't make a habit of shitting where I eat, so I simply thanked the employee courteously for her assistance and then went on my merry way feeling a bit taller than I did before I entered the store.

Comments

  1. People guess my age wrong at the time. By 10 and 12 in my favor!!!!! I'll take that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People guess my age wrong too. When I went to the urologist, the receptionist said to me, "I need to give you a compliment." I thought it was because I had filled out my paperwork already online. But it was to tell me that I didn't look my age! That made my day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment